Wednesday, August 1, 2007

West Nile- I'll take my chances, stop spraying my house!

My house is being bombed by a WWII plane this week. At least that's what it sounds like at 7:30 every night when the West Nile spray plane takes off. In theory, we're outside of the spray zone. In reality, they hit our house at least 3 times last night. If I can see you flying overhead and could probably hit you with a rock if I tried, we're in your spray zone.

I am not afraid of West Nile virus. Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry that four elderly people have contracted West Nile. But does that mean my organic garden in my backyard needs to be blasted with pesticides because some people won't clean their pools? I happen to be allergic to chrysanthemums, the main ingredient in pyrethrins that they use to spray for the mosquitoes. I've read the news articles that say this is "nontoxic" for humans. Obviously they weren't in my house yesterday or today as I tried to stop sneezing and coughing long enough to take some extra allergy medicine. Sure it's "virtually" the same as lice treatment for children... in what dosage? Many chemicals are fine in a small amount and toxic in large amounts with continued exposure. That seems like cheating to me.

We really have no idea how this spray affects the local wildlife. NIH says it's toxic to fish as does this study from New York. In addition, if pyrethrins kill all insects and are nondiscriminate, could we be contributing to honeybee colony collapse? I have not seen one single wasp or bee in my backyard today and it's usually covered in yellow jackets and wasps by mid-afternoon.

We've had more hit and run deaths in Sacramento County than West Nile this year. I don't have recent statistics but 2005 stats say that 102 people were murdered in Sacramento County. More than 100 people died here from heat related problems last year. And we're spending money on spraying for West Nile? I can't find any cost data but I have to believe we could put one more cop on the street all year for the price of that private plane.

Organic Sacramento has more information and ways to voice your concerns. Stop West Nile Spraying Now has data and alternative ways to get rid of mosquitoes.

My personal belief- West Nile virus cases drop because people are hiding inside from all the pesticides being dumped on our parks, backyards and houses. Not too many mosquitoes inside our suburban homes.

No comments:

Google