People have complained that Kevin Johnson would not agree to a debate. Perhaps those complaining should have waited a few weeks to give Johnson a chance to get his campaign up and running, to develop policy and position statements and to form a campaign team before whining.
I find it entirely reassuring that Johnson wanted to take time to have details before entering a debate. It's not interesting or informational for anyone for a candidate to debate by saying "I will have a policy on that." We want to see and hear actual information. In recent weeks, Johnson has issued a crime plan that lead to the endorsement of the Sacramento Police Officers Association. These are the kinds of details that I want to see.
Fargo's own website (which is new) does not talk about the future. She takes credit for many accomplishments of the past, most of which were team efforts or efforts of the city manager that she rubber stamped. We all know what's happened in the past, we were here. I want to know what her plans are for the future.
So Mayor Fargo and all the candidates running for office, since you've agreed to debate, I challenge you to lay out a 5 and 10 year plan for the city. I want to see your vision. I want you to specifically address:
- Plans for Railyard Development
- Plans for downtown and K street redevelopment, including what to do with the big holes left in the ground from failed projects
- Flood control and how you will work with SAFCA, the feds and environmental groups
- Crime control and fire control plans
- North Natomas development
- Lightrail and DNA line development