Tuesday, October 7, 2008

One thing you MUST do this week...

The economy is in the tank, gas prices are still high, housing prices are still low, my retirement fund has about five cents left in it. The lines at Wal-Mart are long and the lines at Whole Foods are non-existent.

So what is a good American to do? Is this a time to just sit on your duff, drinking beer and complaining? A time to hang your head and figure it doesn't matter, nothing you do changes anything? Or is it time to make a difference, in some tiny way, change the course of events?

If you do nothing else patriotic, nothing else brave or interesting this week, you MUST REGISTER TO VOTE! I don't care if you're Republican or Democrat, Libertarian or Green. You have an opportunity to love your country, support your troops and be a proud American. Millions of people around the world wish they had our luxury of telling our government how we really feel.

In California, you must register by October 20th to vote and you have to sign the voter registration card in person! Request your voter registration today at the Sac County Elections Office website. You need to fill it out and return it to the Elections Office. Don't wait or you won't be able to vote November 4th.

If you don't register you will miss your opportunity to speak out on these issues:
  • Sacramento Mayoral Race
  • Community College Funding (Measure M)
  • Utility User Taxes (Measure O)
  • Numerous School Board seats
  • State Assembly Races
  • Congressional Race
  • State Propositions including: High Speed Rail, Children's Hospital Bonds, law enforcement funding, renewable energy requirements and funding, minor abortion waiting period and parental notification, veterans bonds and redistricting
  • President of the United States

So you're already registered? Ask 5 friends today if they are also registered. Don't talk politics, don't debate. Just ask if they're registered. If not, help them sign up.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I agree, go vote everyone!

I hate to use your comments to contact you, but I was wondering if you'd be interested in writing about a new adult (21+) coed sports league here in Sacramento. If you are, I'd be happy to give you much more info. You can check it out here: http://www.xososports.com

I hope to hear from you, sorry about using the comments, I couldn't find an email address to reach you.

TracyC said...

No worries, I made it harder to email me after the volumes of spam I received.

The league looks like fun, I'll check it out and see what I can do!

Google