Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Predictions for Sacramento and the surrounding area for 2008

It's that time of year where everyone comes out with their list of predictions. Who would have guessed that 2007 would see The Towers and Aura projects fall apart? It seemed like in January 2007, these were the hottest things going on the west coast. Or that the housing market would crumble in Sacramento? Here goes my best attempts as a long-time Sacramento resident at predictions for the new year. We'll see in 11 more months how I did.

Prediction #1- The major I-5 construction project will not be finished in 2008 and there will be major traffic consequences, leading to the funding of the DNA lightrail line. That's right you read it here first! Using the Sac Bee's article about more downtown congestion being purposefully initiated by the city to generate interest in alternative transportation, we predict that when Caltrans starts making a hole in the Q street/I-5 sunken road, a messy disaster will strike. Followed by a renewed interest and funding for the DNA airport line. Not that it will get built any faster.

Prediction #2- Absolutely nothing will happen with the arena. Nothing. As in the Kings will still play at Arco and no progress will be made with Cal Expo talks.

Prediction #3- Absolutely nothing will happen with K Street. Mo Mohanna will tie up the redevelopment of K Street in court. We will have more of the same for another year.

Prediction #4- Arden Arcade will be successful in their Nov 2008 bid to become a city.

Prediction #5- Natomas will not flood this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This is more of a hope than a prediction but one that's worth making. If I'm right, I get to keep my house. If I'm wrong, I'll be in a white FEMA trailer next year this time and I won't be blogging to tell you about it anyway.

No comments:

Google