Here's my two cents in a nutshell: Sarah Palin is a smart, capable, intelligent and aggressive candidate who is perfectly capable of becoming the VP... someday. She's not ready now. She was not properly vetted by the McCain camp and it's coming back to bite them in the rears.
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a former opposition researcher. I spent an entire year digging through old newspaper archives, college yearbooks, tax records and even sitting on stakeout once to prove that someone didn't ever take residency where they said they lived. I've even been hired by someone to find out what secrets were easily available from his own past. This is what you do when you're running for office, even at a very local level.
So did the McCain camp think that they'd be able to keep secret Palin's 17 year old daughter's pregnancy? How about the ethics charges against Palin herself? Or her husband's drunk driving arrest? What about her very, very conservative policies that make even McCain look more moderate?
I'm insulted. The McCain camp obviously thinks that all female democrats are mad enough about Hillary not being on the ticket to throw all our values, all our positions and ideals out the window simply because she has two X chromosomes. Someone gave him bad advice to think that democrats would leap to a woman who is:
- Staunchly anti-choice, including cases of rape or incest
- Favors teaching creationism in science class
- Denies any evidence that global warming is man-made or that man has contributed
- Is suing the federal government to remove the polar bear from the endangered species list to build an oil pipeline
- Supports drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge
- Favors abstinence only education in schools
- Inexperienced in all matters of foreign policy- being "near Russia" doesn't count
- Opposes stem-cell research
- Opposes same-sex marriage
- Opposes government involved health care or government funding for health care
- Heavily tied into big oil
Democrats are not sexist... we won't vote for a woman just because she's a woman. We are not interchangeable. You have to earn your spot in our hearts and our pocketbooks. Nice try McCain.
If that's not enough, read more from bloggers around the country at Momocrats.com.